Celebrities have vision problems too!
Your favourite celebrity gracing the red carpet can also suffer from the same eye problems that affect everyone else too. Here are some famous folks who are coping with eye conditions.
The U2 frontman is always seen in his signature tinted sunglasses which he even wears indoors. More than a fashion statement, the sunglasses are actually claimed to be a necessity for the Irish singer. Bono has been suffering from Glaucoma for more than 20 years.
The versatile actor, known for his outrageous costumes, suffers from myopia in one eye and is nearly blind in the other. Without glasses, Depp can only see a few inches in front of his face.
Dame Judi Dench
Known for essaying a variety of roles, and most recently seen as M in the James Bond movies, Dench has been battling age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is caused by the gradual deterioration of central vision as one ages, leading to vision problems such as distortion, blurriness, and can also lead to vision loss.
The supermodel has a lazy eye, or what is called in medical terms as Strabismus. This condition affects the alignment of eyes, and can affect your sight and depth perception. One eye turns out, which gives her that daydreaming look.
A regular eye examination is the best way of detecting any vision problems, and ensuring that your eyes are in good condition. These tests are quick, painless and non-invasive. These are some basic eye tests that a qualified optometrist will offer:
- Eye chart test to check your visual acuity
- Cover test to check if your eyes align normally
- Eye Muscle tests to check how well your eyes work together
- Refraction testing to check whether you need prescription glasses or contact lenses
- The use of a slit lamp biomicroscope to examine the cornea, iris and lens of the eye
As well as these standard procedures, some advanced techniques are also useful in spotting eye problems as early as possible. Some of these include:
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) scanning creates 3D high definition images of the eyes, which can show very early signs of glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- Digital Retinal Photography involves taking a digital image of the back of the eye, helping the optometrist to look for possible damage to the blood vessels and the retina.
- Optomap is an even more advanced digital imaging procedure than retinal photography. It creates a panoramic image of the back of the eye and allows the optometrist to see approximately 80-85% of the retina.
Book your Eye Exam today
At Leightons Opticians and Hearing Care we bring more than 80 years of experience in eye care to offer quality solutions for any potential eye problems. Take our comprehensive eye examination; it only takes about 30 minutes.
Based on the results of the examination, we will help you select glasses or contact lenses that best suit you, should you require them. If your eye test reveals any underlying eye problems or health conditions, we will advise you on the next course of action.
So book an appointment online today, or call us on 0800 40 20 20. We are here to help you take care of your eyesight.