Tips for First-Time Contact Lens Users
You have just had an eye examination and have been told that you need prescription lenses. If the thought of wearing spectacles every day doesn’t appeal to you, you can choose to wear contact lenses instead. As a first-time user of contact lenses, here are some important usage and care tips to keep in mind. These will help you get the best out of your new lenses.
Applying Your Lenses
- Make sure you’re wearing the lenses the right side out. Place the lens on your fingertip. The lens should form a perfect ‘u’; if the top edges are flared out, the lens is inside out.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before applying your lenses. However, avoid scented, oily or creamy soaps.
- Keep your fingernails short to avoid accidental scratching of the lenses or your eyes.
- Always remove your lenses before sleeping, and place them in the lens storage case.
- If your eyes are getting dry, you can use contact lens eye drops to lubricate your eyes. Consult your eye doctor and buy only the prescribed eye drops.
Cleaning Your Lenses
- Clean and disinfect your contact lenses and the lens storage case regularly. A dirty case can lead to fungal infections in the eye.
- Use only the prescribed cleaning solution. Never use tap water as it may contain microorganisms that can cause eye infections.
- Rinse the lenses to remove debris; make sure you rinse for as long as it is recommended on the cleaning solution bottle.
- Discard old solution and replace with new solution; do not top off old solution.
- If you can’t be bothered cleaning the lenses everyday, use daily disposable lenses.
- Replace your contact lens case at least once a month, or as directed by your doctor. This practice reduces the risk of eye infections.
Wearing Eye Make-Up
- Wear your contact lenses before applying make-up.
- Try using non-allergic make-up from reputed brands.
- Select water-based make-up over oil-based one.
- Choose cream eye shadow over powder eye shadow, as it’s less likely to get into your eyes. If you prefer powder, close your eyes during application and brush off the excess powder before opening your eyes.
- Remove your contact lenses before removing your eye make up.
If you’re a first time user, wearing contact lenses can seem daunting. Drop in at your local Leightons Opticians and Hearing Care store and we will help you out. Our friendly and trained opticians will explain all the product features and answer any doubts you may have. Choose from a wide range of contact lenses; we have leading brands such as Ciba Vision and Johnson & Johnson, as well as our excellent quality in-house brand contact lenses.
Get a free trial so that you can see how easy it is use the lenses. Once you have decided which contact lenses to buy, we will guide you on the best way to take care of your lenses and the correct practices for cleaning and storage. Our VisionCare Plan offers continued service and free professional eye care, at a great value. So visit us, or call us on 0800 40 20 20.