Can you imagine spending a day without staring at some screen or the other? Whether it’s your computer or laptop at work, or your TV at home; the almost ubiquitous mobile phone or reading a book on your Kindle – the screen is pretty much omnipresent in our lives today. This has given rise to a relatively new eye problem – Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS).
Technology to the rescue
CVS is the result of the stress caused to the eyes due to prolonged exposure to the computer screen. In fact, if you spend more than three hours each day in front of your computer, you’re susceptible to CVS – which manifests itself in the form of eyestrain, dry eyes, headaches, double or blurred vision, and more. Ironically, the very technology that leads to CVS has now found what appears to be a solution to it. Researchers from the University of California, Berkley and Massachusetts Institute of Technology are working on digital displays that adjust to the visual requirements of the users. This means that if you’re longsighted, your computer screen will actually adjust the image on the screen to provide you with a clear, focussed image – eliminating the need for glasses or contact lenses!
Of course, the technology is still in prototype stage and until it appears on the market (if at all), you’d still have to rely on glasses and contact lenses. However, technological advances in the field of optics have continually bettered the solutions on offer. You can get your glasses or contact lenses customised to your requirements and lifestyle. Here are some things to remember when you buy glasses:
- First get an eye examination and get a prescription for the glasses.
- Buy glasses or contact lenses only from a certified and qualified optician.
- Buy frames that suit the shape of your face. It’s a good idea to bring a family member or a friend along, so that you can try out different styles and pick what fits the best. Never buy glasses without trying them on.
- For contact lenses, ask for a demonstration and practise how to use them.
- Understand how to clean and maintain your glasses or contact lenses, so that you can use them optimally.
Did you know you could be entitled to a free NHS eye examination? Drop by at your nearest Leightons Opticians branch and find out if you qualify. Our opticians will carry out a thorough lifestyle evaluation, along with a comprehensive eye test. If you need glasses, choose from our range of designer glasses – you will be spoilt for choice and will easily find something to suit your personality and lifestyle. Choose from the latest styles, fresh off the runway, or try some classic frames for a chic look. Our opticians are on hand to help you select a style that suits you the best. They will also advise you on the eye care regime to follow. So drop by and see why Leightons Opticians is the best place for all your vision-related needs. Book an appointment online or call us on 0800 40 20 20.
– See more at: https://leightons.co.uk/blog/will-glasses-be-obsolete-in-the-future#sthash.6FlbMCyL.dpuf