Detect sooner. Protect more.
With certain eye conditions, the faster you act, the more you protect.
That’s why we recommend an OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography) scan as part of your regular eye examination. It can help us detect sight-threatening issues up to five years before traditional testing methods, and often many years before you notice any change in your vision yourself.
What is OCT?
OCT works a little like ultrasound for the eye. It shows us beyond the retinal surface and gives a cross-section view of the layers of tissue behind, helping us to spot abnormalities up to five years before a traditional test.
It can spot early signs of:
- Macula conditions including Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
- Diabetes – by detecting Diabetic Retinopathy
The sooner we detect them, the sooner we can help you treat them.
The images generated by the OCT are stored on your file so when you see us again for your next appointment, the images from the latest screening can be compared with the images generated in the past to see if anything has changed or deteriorated.
Why have an OCT screening?
- Spot issues sooner – an OCT scan enables us to detect and monitor any changes to your eye health sooner than other methods of eye screening.
- See more – we can instantly show you the 3D images of the layers of your retina.
- Build a more complete picture – all your scans are stored on your records, so from test to test we can compare your OCT images and quickly pinpoint any changes in your eye health.
The OCT examination is completely non-invasive and painless, nothing touches your eye at all. It only takes a few minutes, and afterwards the images generated are examined by your Leightons optometrist.
What can you see?
The OCT screening generates a series of 3D scans, just like the images below:
How much does it cost?
All members of the MyLeightons Care Plan can enjoy an annual Leightons Ultimate Eye Examination with OCT as part of their care plan, alongside other benefits. Membership is just £12 per month – ask in store for more information.
Alternatively, investing in an OCT screening costs as little as £40 to those eligible for NHS sight tests. Or you can enjoy one as part of your Leightons Ultimate Eye Examination for £69.
We recommend you have an OCT scan as part of your regular eye examination for absolute peace of mind about your eye health.
How do I book it?