Book an eye test
When you book an eye test at Leightons, you can look forward to a comprehensive eye exam that’s perfectly tailored to you. Using the very latest technology, we’ll take the time to understand your needs and build a complete picture of your eye health. No rushing you in and out, just professional staff delivering expert care with heartfelt service.Book an eye test today
The different types of eye examination
At Leightons, we offer two types of private eye examination:
The Leightons Eye Examination
This includes Retinal Photography, where an image of the back of your eye is saved, which helps us track any changes in eye health over time.
The Ultimate Eye Examination
As well as Retinal Photography, this also includes an OCT scan and Optomap imaging, which together provide unrivalled insight into the health of your eyes.
NHS sight tests at Leightons
We’re delighted to offer free NHS sight tests to:
- Children under 16
- Teenagers under 19, in full time education
- Anyone over 60
- Anyone with a history of certain health conditions
Please see the NHS website for the full list of everyone who may qualify for an NHS sight test.Book a free NHS eye test
How long does an eye test take?
Our regular eye examination normally lasts around 30 minutes. If you’ve booked an Ultimate Eye Examination, you may be asked to arrive 10 minutes early for your OCT and Optomap imaging. Of course, if you have any questions as you go along, feel free to ask our team, we’re always happy to help.
What happens in an eye test?
At Leightons, an eye test provides a comprehensive examination of the health of your eye, but we want to take the time to get to know you and your visual needs too.
Your optometrist will begin your eye test with a chat about your general and eye health, as well as your lifestyle, to get a clear understanding of your individual needs.
Your vision will be assessed with and without your glasses (if you have them).
Should you require corrective lenses, your prescription will be determined.
Eye muscle evaluation and advice.
Front and back of eye health assessments and advice where a further consultation may be suitable (for dry eyes, for example).
Additional tests as required, for example visual fields and colour vision, as determined by your optometrist.
Why are eye tests important?
Eye tests are important for several reasons, and not just for your sight! Your eyes can be the window into the health of your body. Regular eye tests can help:
- Your vision, showing whether any correction is needed.
- Detect early signs of sight-threatening conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration, particularly through our Ultimate Eye Examination.
- Detect signs of other possible health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure and vascular disease.
It is also important to have regular eye tests, at intervals as recommended by your optometrist. This helps us to detect any changes in your vision or the health of your eyes as soon as possible. Of course, the sooner any changes are identified, the sooner we can help you manage them.
Why choose Leightons?
Leightons Opticians & Hearing Care has been family-owned and family-run for more than 95 years. We’ve spent those nine decades constantly innovating, using the latest technology to deliver high quality eye and hearing care. We’re proud to provide all our customers with:
- Expert, friendly optometrists using advanced methods for assessing your eye health.
- Longer appointments than well-known high street chains.
- Beautifully crafted eyewear from the world’s leading brands, alongside innovative independent names.
- Fully qualified dispensing opticians ensuring even the most complex prescriptions are perfectly tailored to you.
- Teams striving to delight you with the best possible service, every step of the way.
MyLeightons Care Plan
Our MyLeightons Care Plans are the easy way to look after your eyes and hearing for life.
With MyLeightons, not only do we ensure you receive first class clinical care, but you'll also have access to some great benefits including exclusive discounts on a wealth of products in practice
- All routine eye examinations as recommended by our Optometrists including the ultimate eye exam at no extra charge
- Emergency triage and urgent care eye appointments during our opening hours
- 20% off complete glasses (including lenses)
- 30% off a second pair of glasses (including lenses) purchased within three months of your initial pair
- 20% off prescription and non-prescription sunglasses