If you have recently started wearing hearing aids, we understand that they take some getting used to. Not only do you have to train yourself to hear with them, you have to also adjust to the feeling of having something stuck in your ear all the time. Add to this the necessity to keep them clean and change batteries regularly, it’s understandable that you may find the whole thing a bit overwhelming. Here are some tips that will help you get the best out of your hearing aids.
Hearing aids may look delicate but they are sturdy enough to withstand everyday wear. However, it’s important to treat them with care to make sure that they stay in working order for a long time. Here are some practical tips for taking care of your hearing aids:
- Make sure your fingers are clean and dry before handling the hearing aids. Tiny dirt particles can get into the microphone input and can block it. This will affect the performance of your hearing aids.
- Remove your hearing aids before you step into the shower or in the swimming pool. Also do not leave them in the bathroom or other spaces where they could be exposed to humid conditions. Moisture can damage the electronic circuits in the hearing aids.
- Remove your hearing aids at night and keep them in a dry place. Also remove the battery from the device and keep the battery compartment open to air it out.
- Clean your ears before putting on the hearing aids.
- Avoid contact with hairspray or make-up. The fine particles can block the microphone input or clog the volume control switch.
- When not in use, keep your hearing aids in a safe, dry place, preferably in a case. Keep them away from children and pets!
- Clean your hearing aids periodically with a soft, dry cloth. Your hearing care professional might have prescribed some special care products for your hearing aids. Use only the suggested products. Never use alcohol or solvents to clean the hearing aids.
- If your hearing aids are damaged or need repair, take them to your hearing care professional. Don’t try to fix it yourself!
If you’re looking to upgrade your current set of hearing aids, drop by at your nearest Leightons Opticians and Hearing Care store. Get a free hearing test done so that our audiologist can figure out the extent of your hearing loss and advise you accordingly. Select from our wide range of digital hearing aids; we have some of the world’s best hearing aids in store, from leading manufacturers such as ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Widex & Siemens.
At Leightons Opticians and Hearing Care we provide continued after-care, which entitles you to free hearing checks every six months. We also provide a further six months’ supply of free hearing aid batteries. Our clean & check service is also free, where you can get your hearing aids thoroughly cleaned and tested to ensure that they are working optimally. So visit your nearest branch or call us on 0800 40 20 20 and speak to our hearing care experts.